Hair Growth Cycle and Castor Oil
Many castor oil users, especially first-timers, are a little skeptic whether it will truly work or not. In order to understand how castor oil helps in hair growth, it is important to see the whole picture of how your hair actually grows.
What is the Hair Growth Cycle
Hair growth follows a cycle that consists of three phases.
It begins with the anagen or growth phase. It is during this stage when the hair bulb takes nourishment through the blood vessels. Good blood flow to the scalp and nourishment enables growth of healthy hair. The anagen phase is the longest phase of the whole hair growth cycle. It’s about 90% of the process and lasts between 3 to 6 years.
After that, the catagen or transition phase follows. It lasts for 2 to 3 weeks, equal to an average of 10 days. At this stage, hair follicle shrinks, becoming thinner and finer. It eventually breaks away from the blood supply, its source of nourishment.
Then finally, it goes through the telogen or resting phase. This is when the hair follicle is inactive. Thus, it’s called the “resting” phase. The old hair detaches from the roots or hair follicle. So don’t be surprised if you see some strands of hair falling off your head. It’s part of the natural process. Although all hair strands follow the same cycle, they don’t go through it at the same time. Otherwise, you will be bald for about 1 to 4 months, the amount of time telogen phase lasts.
The shedding of old hair is actually a preparation for the next cycle, which begins upon the development of a new hair shaft.
How Castor Oil Works to Enhance Hair Growth
Castor oil is a powerhouse of essential nutrients and fatty acids your hair needs in order to grow strong and healthy.
Pure cold pressed castor oil contains high amounts of ricinoleic acid. This omega-9 fatty acid is uniquely found in castor oil and reaches up to 95 percent of its composition. This supports better blood circulation on each hair bulb in your scalp. Castor oil also contains vitamin E, known as a great antioxidant that repairs damaged strands. It has protein that strengthens hair structure. This helps in preventing hair breakage and undue hair fall.
When applying castor oil for hair growth, it simply maximizes the nourishment process of hair follicles. It provides extra nutrients it needs and stimulates blood flow in the hair follicles to enable faster growth.
While castor oil works for growing thicker hair, you can also use it to thicken your eyelashes. With regular use, you can get a set of longer eyelashes that frames your eyes perfectly.
Learn how to use castor oil for eyelashes. Healthy Hair Lifestyles teaches you how to create your own natural eyelash growth serum and the best time to apply it.
How to Use Castor Oil to Prevent Hair Loss and Boost Hair Growth
It’s easy to use castor oil for hair if you know how to do it. There are three stages in its use: preparing, applying, and rinsing the oil. Before we get into the details of each stage, gather all the things you’ll need as follows:
Materials You Need
- Small jar
- Large bowl
- Hot water
- Shallow container or bowl
- Spare towel or old clothes
- Spray bottle
- Small bottle with glass dropper (optional)
- Applicator brush (at least 2-inch size)
- Shower cap
- Clean towel
Preparing the Oil
Castor oil is naturally thick and sticky. While it is fine to use it alone, most users find it easier to apply castor oil to hair and scalp when mixed with less thick oil such as coconut oil. Here’s what you need and how to prepare it:
- 2 tablespoons castor oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar.
- Close the cover tightly and shake well to blend.
- Warm the oil by immersing the jar in a large bowl filled with hot water. Leave it for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Take the jar from the bowl and pour the oil into a shallow container.
- Castor oil for hair growth is ready to use.
- Warming the oil makes the oil more effective and easier to work with. Remember to warm the oil only and not boil it.
- Putting the oil into a shallow container after warming makes it easier to dip your fingers when applying.
- If you have an available small bottle with a glass dropper, put the oil in it. You can use the glass dropper when applying oil to the scalp. It’s easier and less messy.
- While you can create this popular blend of coconut oil and castor oil for hair growth and get great results, you can also mix it with other good-for-hair ingredients. Creating castor oil recipes provides added benefits. Check out the next section for the best castor oil recipes for hair growth you can try!
Applying the Oil
After the oil is ready, here are the steps for applying the oil into your scalp and hair:
- Prep up by covering your shoulders with a spare towel to protect clothes from oil drips. This could be an old towel you are probably ready to dispose of. Otherwise, you may wear old clothes.
- Dampen your hair using a spray bottle. The oil works better on damp hair.
- Apply the oil to the scalp. You can use your fingers to target the scalp or the glass dropper if available.
- Massage scalp for 5 to 10 minutes to boost blood flow and distribute oil evenly.
- Apply oil throughout the length of your hair. Put some oil on your palm and rub both palms together to spread. Run them from roots to tips. Using an applicator brush or a comb will help especially if you have long and thick hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap to avoid oil stains on furniture and pillows.
- Leave oil overnight.
- Rinse hair in the morning.
Rinsing the Oil
Proper rinsing of oil from hair and scalp plays an important role when applying castor oil for hair growth. It helps the oil work effectively. Since oil is naturally resistant to water, it could be a challenge to remove it. To help you rinse castor oil well, here’s the trick:
- Dampen your hair and scalp with slightly warm water. This helps open the pores of your scalp to remove seated dirt and grime easily.
- Apply mild shampoo and rinse to pre-wash your hair.
- Massage a conditioner to your hair and scalp. We recommend using natural conditioners over chemical-based products. Then, rinse off conditioner and notice how it helps break down the oil.
- If your scalp still feels oily, do another round of shampoo. Target oily areas to avoid stripping off natural moisture.
- Finally, rinse and pat dry with a clean towel.
Castor Oil Recipes for Hair Growth
Castor oil normally blends well with other oils and ingredients. That’s why it is often used for various hair care recipes. To add a little spin to your castor oil hair growth treatment, here are three recipes you can try.
Castor Oil, Pomegranate Seed Oil, Peppermint Oil, and Coconut Oil
With the combined power of four essential oils, this recipe is geared for a boost of hair growth and scalp health. It features peppermint oil with menthol effect that soothes the scalp. It promotes better blood flow, which helps enhance the growth of hair. Pomegranate seed oil and coconut oil provide added moisture and other benefits.
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seed oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 15 to 18 drops peppermint oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or glass jar.
- Cover tightly and shake to blend well.
- Apply oil blend to scalp and hair.
- Put on a shower cap and leave for 1 to 2 hours.
- Rinse off with warm water and mild shampoo.
Castor Oil, Olive Oil, and Avocado Oil
Hair loss is often due to lack of hair nourishment. This recipe features avocado oil taken from the fleshy pulp of avocados, which are high in vitamin B and E. These essential nutrients help protect, repair, and strengthen hair deeply. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that repairs damaged cells and vitamin B is essential for increased hair growth. Olive oil gives hair extra strength, shine, and softness.
- 2 tablespoons castor oil
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all essential oils in a bowl or glass jar.
- Cover tightly and shake well to blend.
- Apply the mixture to scalp and massage for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply to the rest of the hair and leave for 2 to 3 hours.
- Wash it off using the rinsing technique.
Castor Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, and Egg
Hair strength is vital when trying to grow or regrow hair. With this recipe, you are going to get a keratin boost. Keratin is a type of protein that gives hair its structure. This recipe features egg, which is a primary source of protein. Add some aloe vera gel for a hydrated and balanced scalp.
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 1 piece raw egg
- Combine castor oil and aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Crack an egg and mix into the mixture.
- Blend well using a hand or electric mixer to create a thick mask.
- Apply hair mask to scalp and hair.
- Massage in a circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes to boost blood flow.
- Leave for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse off with mild shampoo and towel dry.
If you got thinning hair, trying these castor oil hair growth recipes will be a great step to help prevent it. Excessive hair fall could be a warning sign of hair loss that often leads to balding. Using natural remedies such as these recipes is just one way to avoid it.
Learn more ways to fight hair loss. Find out how each method works and see which one suits you best.
How to Make Hair Growth Faster with Castor Oil
As your ultimate hair care friend, Healthy Hair Lifestyles gives you awesome tips on how to make castor oil work for hair growth – faster! The key questions at this point are: “When is the best time to apply castor oil?” and “How often should you apply it?”
Since the oil needs enough time to work on your hair, the best time to apply it is before bedtime and leave it overnight. This allows the oil to absorb on each strand better. Then you can rinse it in the morning and get fabulously gorgeous hair. It will take some time before you see results so it is important to commit to a regular routine. Apply castor oil more often in the beginning – at least twice a week. Notice how your hair becomes smoother and shinier after a month of continued use.
There are hair products that contain castor oil as well. You can use these products for daily hair care routine instead of regular shampoos. They will improve the way your hair feels and looks. Shampoo with castor oil will nourish and stimulate your scalp. On the other hand, castor oil conditioner will repair hair damage in order to reduce hair loss.
For the following months, a weekly application is fine. It will help maintain the strength and health of your hair, as it grows longer. Once the desired length is achieved, don’t ever stop applying castor oil or using hair products infused with castor oil. Castor oil provides other benefits such as damage repair and hydrated scalp, which the next section talks about in more detail.
Other Benefits of Using Castor Oil
When you use castor oil for hair growth, you can actually get more benefits than you ask for. Surprisingly, it’s not just longer, more voluminous hair! Here are extra yet incredible benefits of using castor oil to grow hair:
Added Moisture and Shine
With castor oil’s moisture-rich property, it naturally keeps hair vibrant and shiny. The oil leaves a thin layer of coating that helps lock in moisture. Enough moisture is key to hydrated hair that stays soft and silky smooth all day!
Strength and Resilience to Breakage
If you need a boost of hair strength, castor oil is the perfect natural remedy for dry and brittle hair. Hair that is overexposed to harmful chemicals and sunlight may weaken. Revive it with castor oil. It contains protein that reinforces every strand to make them tougher against breakage.
Healthier Hair Strands
Split ends and limp hair texture are major signs of damaged hair. Get healthier strands of hair when you use castor oil for hair growth regularly. It reduces frizz and makes hair more manageable. You can style your hair any way you want without getting worried about damage.
Clean and Balanced Scalp
Castor oil carries anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help balance your scalp. It prevents itchiness, dryness, and flaking. Remember, healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp. Castor oil is the perfect natural product to use for your total hair health.
The best way to maximize the benefits of castor oil for hair is to learn how to use it for various hair care needs. It does not only promote hair growth. Castor oil helps in fighting dandruff and nourishing hair. Learn various castor oil recipes effective for keeping hair healthy.
Best Type of Castor Oil to Pick and Where to Buy
Castor oil products are made with oil extracted from seeds of the castor plant. They naturally carry nourishing benefits good for hair care. With many types of castor oil products available in the market today, which type is best for hair growth?
Healthy Hair Lifestyles recommends cold pressed castor oil. It is the best type of castor oil to use for hair growth because it contains the highest amounts of nutrients your hair needs to increase its growth. Cold pressing is done without the use of heat or chemicals. These factors affect the integrity of castor oil products. Unlike any other types of castor oil, cold pressed castor oil is pure, safe, and all-natural.
To get your own bottle of cold pressed castor oil, you can take many options. The basic way is to go to a physical store such as pharmacies or organic health stores. Some beauty stores also offer organic products. Simply ask for the essential oils section and look for castor oil.
If you want a more convenient and easy way, try going online. Go to a trusted online store such as Amazon and eBay. You can also visit the brand’s website and place your orders directly. Buying online is a purchasing trend nowadays. It just makes shopping so easy and fun too! With a few clicks, you can expect your castor oil products delivered right at your doorstep. Just make sure to choose the right brand to ensure it is high quality.
Now, are you ready to meet the best brands of hair care products? Healthy Hair Lifestyles put together a list of the most trusted names in the hair industry. From shampoos to hair oils, we got them all covered for you!