Finding the Right Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner for Your Hair
Some people fail to grow out their hair because they do not know the proper way to take care of it. One of the best ways to help your hair grow is by using the right hair growth shampoo and conditioner.
Before choosing shampoos and conditioners for hair growth, you need to understand the hair growth process. When you know more about how to grow longer hair, you can gather enough patience to see the process through.
How your hair grows
The hair growth process has 4 different stages called anagen, catagen, telogen, and exogen. Anagen, also known as the growth phase, starts with your hair strand growing from the follicles on your scalp. How long your hair will turn out depends on the food you eat and the way you take care of your tresses. After the anagen phase comes the catagen or the regression phase. During this stage, hair follicles start to shrink and hair is ready to detach from the scalp. Telogen or the resting phase follows this stage. During the telogen phase, new hair starts growing under the place where hair is ready to detach. The last stage is the exogen or the shedding phase. During this stage, hair naturally falls out and new hair starts to emerge. As new hair emerges, it begins the anagen phase again and the cycle continues.
Why hair does not grow
Most people crave for healthy, thick, and long hair. But there are just some people who cannot make their hair grow no matter what products they use. Unless you are suffering from hair issues, growing long hair should not be a problem. Here are other reasons why some people have a hard time growing their hair:
- Hair Breakage – hair breakage happens when the hair shaft is weak and brittle. Bleaching, too many hot showers, and excessive brushing are some of the factors that can weaken hair and cause them to break easily.
- Unhealthy Scalp – excess oils and styling product build-up can clog your hair follicles. When hair follicles are blocked, hair may stop growing.
- Split Ends – Split ends start from the ends of your hair and continue all the way up the roots. This creates thinner strands that break easily. Split ends happen due to lack of moisture on your hair. Overuse of chemical-based hair products is another reason why hair starts to split.
- Age – As you get older, your hair tends to become weaker too. Your hair starts to shed easily making it thinner and shorter. The production of oil in the scalp begins to slow down as well. When hair lacks natural oils, it becomes dry, brittle, and prone to breakage. When hair keeps breaking its growth isn’t as fast.
- Heat Damage – Your hair may not be showing any signs of growth due to the high heat coming from your styling tools. Excessive use of heat styling tools can damage the hair cuticles resulting in slower hair growth than usual. In some cases, hair stops growing altogether.
Can shampoo and conditioner promote hair growth?
Your hair growth shampoo and conditioner promotes healthier hair growth when used regularly. They contain ingredients that are known to nourish each strand so that hair grows stronger. Most hair growth shampoos and conditioners are made to complement each other. This means they work better when used together. They give your hair all the nutrients it needs to achieve its full growth potential. The hair growth shampoo keeps your scalp clean while the conditioner moisturizes each strand. When your scalp is free of dirt that clogs the follicles and strands are well moisturized, hair grows healthier and stronger.
Ingredients to look for in hair growth shampoo and conditioner sets
There are a lot of hair growth shampoos and conditioners sold in your local supermarkets and hair salons. With so many products to choose from, you may feel overwhelmed by your options and pick the wrong products. Before you go shopping for a hair growth shampoo and conditioner set, you should take note of what ingredients work best for growing longer hair. Some of the ingredients you should look out for are:
- Glycerin – Glycerin in your hair growth shampoo and conditioner helps retain the moisture in your hair strands. Hair that’s moisturized won’t break easily.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are extracted from plants through various methods such as cold pressing, solvent extraction, and distillation. While essential oils are most famous for their aromatic uses, these oils contain properties that are beneficial to hair health as well. Different oils can do anything from helping hair grow to adding strength and shine. Essential oils are the most natural way to improve hair growth.
- Proteins – Proteins are the building blocks of your hair. Using hair growth shampoos and conditioners that contain proteins can help strengthen and improve hair growth.
- Biotin – Biotin is a B-complex vitamin that is known to help improve hair growth. You can get them from supplements and certain food such as egg yolks and yeast. This is a common ingredient found in many hair growth shampoo and conditioner as well.
- Caffeine – Not just great for waking you up in the morning, caffeine is known to improve hair growth as well. Many studies suggest that applying caffeine on your hair helps thicken strands.
How many times should you use shampoo and conditioner for hair growth?
There are many theories about how many times you should wash your hair. One thing is clear though: Washing too often can do more harm than good. The number of times you should wash your tresses depends on your hair’s conditions. Here are some factors you need to consider before washing your hair with hair growth shampoo and conditioner:
Hair Type – Some hair types, such as oily hair, require more frequent washing than others do. Fine, straight hair can go for longer without washing.
Climate – People who live in tropical climate tend to have warmer weather. This can make them sweat and sometimes smell. Daily hair washing is a must for warmer climates.
Styling Habits – Another thing to consider is your styling habits and the way you treat your hair. If your hair is damaged due to styling, you should wash it less frequently to prevent further damage.
Find out about hair growth and maintaining longer locks by checking out the various ways to make hair grow fast.
DIY Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Recipes for Longer Hair
If you want a more natural and budget-friendly approach to achieve beautiful looks, these simple hair growth shampoo and conditioner recipes may just do the thing for you:
Simple DIY Shampoo for Hair Growth
What you will need:
- ¼ cup liquid castile soap
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp glycerin
- ½ tsp vitamin E
- 7 drops of rosemary oil
- 7 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 clean bowl or bottle
- Mix everything in a clean bowl or bottle until every ingredient is blended well.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water and apply your DIY shampoo for hair growth. Massage the shampoo thoroughly from root to tip.
- Let the shampoo sit for 2-5 mins and rinse hair.
DIY Hair Growth Conditioner
What you will need:
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 egg
- 1 bowl or bottle
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or bottle.
- Apply the DIY Hair Growth Conditioner mix after rinsing off your shampoo.
- Massage conditioner thoroughly from root to tip.
- Let conditioner sit for 2-5 mins. Use this time to detangle your hair with a wide-tooth comb.
- Rinse hair with lukewarm water.
Simple Overnight Deep Conditioning Treatment for Hair Growth
What you will need:
- 3 vitamin E gel capsules
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. aloe vera gel
- 4 tbsp. of yellow mustard seed
- Extract contents of the vitamin E gel capsules by pricking each one.
- Mix all ingredients in a clean bowl until well blended.
- Apply the DIY Overnight Deep Conditioning Treatment on damp hair.
- Massage the conditioner from root to tip.
- Wrap your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave on overnight.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water the following day.
Tricks to Help Your Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Work Better
Growing your hair is not limited to just washing your hair with hair growth shampoo and conditioner. There are various ways to help your hair strands grow faster. Some of these tricks include:
A regular trim prevents split ends from working their way up your hair strands. Split ends cause hair to thin and break-off easily. This is the reason why you need to trim your hair every 10 to 12 weeks for better, healthier hair growth.
- Rinse your strands with cold water
Cold water helps close or flatten down the outer layer of your hair. This helps prevent moisture loss, tangles, and heat damage.
- Weekly hair mask treatments for hair growth
Weekly hair mask treatments improve hair growth by providing nutrients and fatty acids that are beneficial for hair growth. You do not need to go to your local salon to get your hair treated. You can use essential oils such as castor oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil for your weekly hair mask treatment.
Hair is mostly protein. The more protein you add to your diet, the more nutrients your hair gets to grow stronger.
The journey to longer locks may be lengthy but with the right hair growth shampoo and conditioner, you can weather these challenges with ease. Take care of your hair properly and include protein-rich food in your diet. Do all these and you could be on your way to stronger, longer tresses.
For great hair remember to use only the best hair care products. Do you want to learn more about hair growth? Check out these tips on how to make hair grow healthy.